TEMPLO DE LOS SIETE PRINCIPES1
TEMPLO DE LOS SIETE PRINCIPES1

Campeche

Tlaxcala

Northern Mexico

Menú desplegable personalizable

Central Mexico

Menú desplegable personalizable

Southern Mexico

Menú desplegable personalizable

Morelos

Mexico City

Guanajuato

Northern Mexico

Menú desplegable personalizable

Central Mexico

Menú desplegable personalizable

Southern Mexico

Menú desplegable personalizable

The architectural complex was not planned as a single project

The architectural complex was not planned as a single project but rather, the temple and the Ex Convent were two separate constructions.

First, the temple was built on the site of a sanctuary dedicated to the Seven Princes, and in 1730, the neighbors and devotees decided to construct a chapel, which was built between 1755 and 1764.

The temple features a portico with two semi-circular arched entrances, and in the center of the facade, there is a linteled coral window with two niches on the sides that house the sculptures of the archangels San Rafael and San Miguel.

The interior of the temple consists of a nave with side chapels. The main altarpiece, dating back to the early 20th century, stands out with its neoclassical style. In the center, there is the image of Our Lady of the Angels, surrounded by seven wooden carved archangels.

In the adjacent grounds, the convent was founded. The construction was overseen by Bishop José Gregorio Ortigoza, who took the Capuchin convent of Corpus Christi in Mexico City as a reference. The Capuchin convent was exclusively for indigenous nuns.

In 1863, due to the Reform Laws, the convent was expropriated. It wasn't until 1890 when Bishop Eulogio Gillow purchased it and restored it to house a school of arts and crafts for the people of Oaxaca.

Later on, the building was abandoned, and in 1933, it was declared a historic monument. However, it wasn't until 1963 that it was restored as the Casa de la Cultura de Oaxaca (House of Culture) and the General State Archive.

Location

González Ortega, entre Cristóbal Colón e Ignacio Rayón, Centro Histórico, Oaxaca de Juárez, Oax.

Templo de los Siete Príncipes

COLOR, FLAVOR & TRADITION

en_USEnglish