TEMPLO Y EX CONVENTO DE CARMEN DEL ALTO1
TEMPLO Y EX CONVENTO DE CARMEN DEL ALTO1

Campeche

Tlaxcala

Northern Mexico

Menú desplegable personalizable

Central Mexico

Menú desplegable personalizable

Southern Mexico

Menú desplegable personalizable

Morelos

Mexico City

Guanajuato

Northern Mexico

Menú desplegable personalizable

Central Mexico

Menú desplegable personalizable

Southern Mexico

Menú desplegable personalizable

This religious complex belonged to the Order of Discalced Carmelites, who established themselves in Oaxaca in 1696.

Its construction began in the mid-16th century and was completed in 1751 with the support of the Spanish community settled in the region, distinguishing it from the popular Carmen Bajo.

After the expropriation of ecclesiastical properties in 1856, the convent had various uses and served as a prison and barracks. In 1889, Bishop Eulogio G. Gillow acquired the property, which was restored to serve as an episcopal residence and a seminary college. In 1910, it became a night school for workers and a higher primary school. Currently, the Civil Registry offices are located in what used to be the cloister. The remaining annexes function as schools and federal offices.

The temple has a clear neoclassical style and is distinguished by its portico, a vestibule to the main nave with three semicircular arches.

In the middle part of the façade, there is a high relief of Our Lady of Carmen with outstretched arms, flanked by two angels. The choir window can be seen in the upper part.

The interior of the temple has a Latin cross plan, and the presbytery is located at the main altar where the Virgin of Carmen is situated.

In the exterior, there is the Plaza del Carmen, a place where some crafts can be acquired, and where conferences and various cultural presentations take place.

Location

García Vigil entre Jesús Carranza y Quetzalcóatl, Centro Histórico, Oaxaca de Juárez, Oax.

Templo y Ex convento de Carmen Alto

COLOR, FLAVOR & TRADITION

en_USEnglish