CATEDRAL1
CATEDRAL1

Campeche

Tlaxcala

Northern Mexico

Menú desplegable personalizable

Central Mexico

Menú desplegable personalizable

Southern Mexico

Menú desplegable personalizable

Morelos

Mexico City

Guanajuato

Northern Mexico

Menú desplegable personalizable

Central Mexico

Menú desplegable personalizable

Southern Mexico

Menú desplegable personalizable

Catedral de Morelia (Cathedral)

Its construction began in 1660 and was completed in 1774, according to the project by Italian architect Vicencio Barroso Escayola. 

Despite the long construction period, the stylistic unity was maintained, resulting in a harmonious, refined, and soberly beautiful structure. 

It is in the Baroque style and features around 200 pilasters instead of columns. The cathedral offers a pleasant impression of proportion and elegance as a whole, especially with its pair of tall towers rising to a height of 66.8 meters, making them the fourth tallest in Mexico. Each tower is composed of three levels, decreasing in width from square to octagonal, culminating with an iron cross. 

The cathedral has a spacious gated atrium. Its pink quarry stone facade showcases a triple portal, each divided into three sections with panelled pilasters and niches. The two side portals are in the Baroque style. 

The Cathedral is dedicated to the Transfiguration of the Lord, and this biblical passage is depicted in relief on the main facade.

Inside, there are three naves. Along the side aisles, there are chapels with neoclassical altarpieces. The choir houses a large Churrigueresque organ and intricately carved wooden seats. The main altar features a monumental oil painting by Morelia artist Jesús Pérez Busta depicting the Transfiguration of Christ.

The silver baptismal font dates back to the 18th century and is said to have been used for the baptism of Agustín de Iturbide. 

Among its precious treasures are two paintings by Cabrera located in the sacristy, the Christ of the Sacristy, a very old cane paste sculpture, another ivory Christ, four Chinese vases brought on the Manila Galleon, and the hat and staff of Tata Vasco, a benefactor of the indigenous people of the region. 

Additionally, there is the Manifestador, a magnificent Baroque work standing over three meters tall, made of gold and silver. It is located under the dome of the main altar and dates back to the 18th century.

The cathedral is also home to a magnificent Churrigueresque pipe organ, with 4,600 flutes, manufactured in Germany in the early 20th century. It is the second-largest in Mexico, surpassed only by the organ in the Cathedral of Zamora, Michoacán. Its sound quality is so impressive that it is considered one of the best on the continent.

Adjacent to the cathedral is the Episcopal Palace, featuring a two-level facade and a three-aisle floor plan. 

Every Saturday, there is a light, sound, and fireworks show at 8:45 pm called the "Cathedral Illumination." This 15-minute spectacle is accompanied by music.

 

Location

Av. Francisco I. Madero Poniente s/n, Centro Histórico, Morelia, Mich.

Catedral de Morelia (Cathedral)

THE CITY BLUSHES A DEEP SHADE OF PINK AND IS AN ARCHITECTURAL AND GASTRONOMY HEAVEN

en_USEnglish