Palacio de Gobierno - Casa Antigua de los Corregidores 1
Palacio de Gobierno - Casa Antigua de los Corregidores 1

Campeche

Tlaxcala

Northern Mexico

Menú desplegable personalizable

Central Mexico

Menú desplegable personalizable

Southern Mexico

Menú desplegable personalizable

Morelos

Mexico City

Guanajuato

Northern Mexico

Menú desplegable personalizable

Central Mexico

Menú desplegable personalizable

Southern Mexico

Menú desplegable personalizable

This house was used as a Royal House and as a jail.

The current seat of the Executive Power began construction in 1740 and was completed in 1770 by the then magistrate of Querétaro, Martín José de la Rocha y Lans.

This building marks a turning point in Mexican history. Here, the magistrate of Querétaro, Don Miguel Domínguez, and his wife, Doña Josefa Ortiz de Domínguez, lived and organized cultural gatherings that were, in reality, planning the independence movement.

Josefa Ortiz de Domínguez played a crucial role in the independence movement, and therefore, this house has significant historical value. At the risk of losing her freedom, she sent a message from here, through the mayor Ignacio Pérez, which triggered the beginning of the struggle for independence.

In 1856, General Tomás Mejía occupied the Palace to support the conservative cause. In 1867, Maximilian of Habsburg decorated loyal officers to the Empire here. And in 1821, once the War of Independence concluded, it became the Government Palace, a function it has retained to this day.

Inside, magnificent murals created by the artist Víctor Cauduro stand out. The paintings depict episodes of the country's history.

Location

Calle 5 de Mayo, Centro, Querétaro, Santiago de Querétaro, Qro.

Palacio de Gobierno (Casa Antigua de los Corregidores)

HISTORY AND COLONIAL ART

 

en_USEnglish